Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Celtic cross reading for the coming year


Happy New Year Everyone!


The last few years, I've done a Celtic Cross spread for the coming year. I had to modify it a bit here (card 10 should be above card 9) just to photograph it better, but here is a diagram that shows the layout and their general meanings (though I reverse 6 and 5 card positions).




So, here is what I am gathering the coming year holds for me. I am putting the book meanings below first.

1. Present: 7 of Swords: Isis' Lament.  The Ankh of Life is threatened by 7 daggers representing the death of Osiris at Seth's hands.  It can mean a warning, advice, action needed, protection, or a literal threat (physical or emotional).

2. Immediate Challenge: The Lovers. A man stands at the crossroads of life with stability on one side, temptation on the other.  It usually indicates an important choice that must be made in any area of life (personal, professional, etc).

3. Distant Past: Knight of Swords: The messenger of ruin. A man mounted on a black horse that arrives at a gallop. (For me, this card represents my ex - the relationship ended 14 years ago).

4. Recent Past: Justice: Overcoming obstacles, finding a balance, order, rule of life.

5. Immediate Future: 6 of Wands: Anubis' scepters. The god of the dead, hidden behind the interlacing of phenomenal reality, represents the fleetingness of earthly conquests. Overcoming obstacles, crowning of dreams, public honors.

6. Best Outcome: Ace of Chalices. Osiris' Soul. A chalice, symbol of Osiris' heart, is protected by two papyrus that act as a gateway between worlds; below there is the amulet of the collar that gives the power to free oneself from every impediment. Great joy, abundance. Start of a new love, worldly pleasures.

7. Factors Affecting Situation: 7 of Wands: Nekhbet's vulture. The amulet linked to the power of the mother god, symbol of the return of all living beings to nature. Discussions, negotiations, plans of alliance.

8. External Influences: 6 of Chalices: The White Crown: An ornament of Osiris and the Pharaoh, the crown of ostrich feathers represents intellectual and spiritual purity. Pleasurable memories, useful second thoughts, relief from people or simple things.

9. Hopes and Fears: King of Swords: The Lord of War. A sovereign raises his sword on high, the symbol of military power. Magistrate, legal actions, authority.

10. Final Outcome: 2 of Chalices: Seth's Ladder. The amulet of the ladder symbolizes the passage of Osiris, and therefore of men, to a higher dimension, defended by the serpents of knowledge. Love, Idyllic relationships, sincere friendship, artistic affinity, concord.

As usual, I am not sure how these cards will play out for the coming year.

Amazingly, emotions seem to be more prevalent for me this year, something I've rarely seen. I'm more of an analytical type and honestly don't put a lot of stock in relationships or emotions. Perhaps the Gods are trying to tell me I need to find a better balance in 2014.  Both the best outcome and  final outcome certainly seems to indicate relationships will play a bigger role for me this year.

With few major trumps, fate seems to be more in my hands and a matter of my choices for this year and negotiations and relationships should clearly be my focus. 

I'll have to return to this reading in the future and see if it is playing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment